Skip to main content


Northern District of Texas

Barbara M.G. Lynn, Chief Judge
Karen Mitchell, Clerk of Court

You are here

  • May I sign a document even though I am not admitted to the Northern District?

    If you sign a document and have not been admitted or granted leave to appear pro hac vice, the judge could unfile your document. Be prepared to apply for admission to the bar or pro hac vice contemporaneously with your first filing and to comply with all other local rules.

  • How do I become admitted?

    Admission instructions are available here.

  • If I have just passed the state bar and have paid my dues and taxes but have not received my bar card, can I be admitted to practice in the Northern District?

    No, the state of Texas does not consider you a licensed attorney until you receive your bar number. As soon as you receive your card, you may apply for admittance.

  • Do I need to complete the questions regarding offenses or grievances on the Application for Admission if the offense or grievance occurred many years ago?


  • May I take the oath before a magistrate judge or bankruptcy judge?

    Yes, but the application for admission must be approved by a U.S. District Judge.

  • What is the fee for admission?

    A list of fees set by the Judicial Conference of the United States is available here.

  • How long does it take to be admitted to the Northern District?

    Within the district, the time it takes to be sworn-in varies by judge. You must make an appointment with the judge of your choice and bring someone who is admitted to practice in the Northern District to introduce you. It would be prudent to allocate 45 minutes for this.

    Outside the district, the entire process generally takes two to six weeks, depending on how quickly a judge is able to review and return the approved application. After you receive the approved application, make arrangements to be sworn in by a judge of another district quickly, since your paperwork must be returned before the Certificate of Good Standing is older than 90 days.

  • How do I seek admission pro hac vice?

    Instructions are available in Local Civil Rule 83.9 and here.

  • What information do you provide on practicing in the Northern District?

    The following publications are available to assist you: Local RulesFederal Rules, and the Civil Justice Expense and Delay Reduction Plan. There are also some helpful instructions on the Filing Information page of our website.

  • How do I get a certificate of good standing?

    Instructions are available here.